Saturday, November 5, 2011

What Chemo didn't take but Malnutrition did

You know how women are about their hair - it is their crowning glory any way they chose to wear it.  The type of chemo I was given was one that did not make you lose your hair - I thought I had it made.  During treatment, I did lose a little hair but it was more the radiation that took it from me as I couldn't eat very much as it made me sick some of the time.  My hair was falling out a little at a time.

When January rolled around, I got sick.  I couldn't eat much and what I did eat I couldn't keep it very long.  I was telling doctors - gastro doc, oncologist doc that something was wrong.  That was February.  I was sent for test and they couldn't find anything.  Little did I know that radiation was about to rock my world.

I went through March and still couldn't eat.  In February, I started losing hair in clumps.  Every time I brushed or combed my hair, I couldn't believe how much was coming out on the brush or comb.  At the end of March, I went into the hospital with my first intestinal block.  And things went down hill from there as I have about written before.  My hair just kept failing out.

They did not start feeding me through the PICC line until sometime in April.  Finally in the last couple of months when I blow dry my hair, I can see the places where the hair is coming back in.  I was always wearing my hair in a clip so that you couldn't tell how thin my hair had gotten.  Last night, for the first time, I wore my hair down.  Maybe not a biggie for you - but for me, it was wonderful!

I haven't had a haircut since March - did not need one as my hair was not only falling out, it was not growing at all.  For the last  couple of weeks, my bangs have gotten to the point that I know it is growing.  I am so excited even for the littlest of things or should I say a big thing for me.  Time for a cut!

More later -
post signature

1 comment:

  1. Thank the Lord for a little spirit reviving uplifting gift. Love you Kelly I am praying!

    ReplyDelete