Saturday, February 18, 2012

Another Birthday post on a completely different note

Tomorrow is my birthday - I get to turn 43.  I have lived one year longer than my sister did.  She passed away in July of 2006 of breast cancer.

Cancer is an ugly thing.  You push through the good and bad of it and if you are one of the lucky ones - you get to survive.  My sister was 32 when it was discovered that she had breast cancer.  She went through awful chemo and radiation.  She did ok for 5 years before it metastasized to her bones.  Think arthritis is bad - bone cancer trumps it a thousand times over. 

She had to get a hip replacement because the cancer has eaten up the bone there.  And she soldiered on.  Five years later, the cancer went to her brain and she did not live long after that.  Her birthday - Feb. 23rd is coming up.  She would have been 48.  By the time she passed, it was a blessing.  Her pain and struggle were over and she got to go to a more peaceful place where all pain is gone.

I had a couple of dreams after she passed that still give me great comfort.  One in particular stands out.  I was taking a shower and I turned to get out and my sister was there.  I asked her how she was.  She responded that Heaven is wonderful and had a great smile on her face.  Another one is where I walked into a room and she was standing there.  I called out her name and she turned and we embraced.  We talked about how much we missed each other and I noticed how at peace she was.  I know I will get to see her again.  That is what gives me comfort.

Happy Birthday Karen!  I think of you often and miss you always.

Life is too short.  Don't waste it on the petty things that will be forgotten.  Live each day as if it is your last.  Love on your children and family that are still here and that you get to spend time with.

More later -
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment