Friday, June 29, 2012

Getting stronger but still can't do much and my stepfather

With a broken right arm, you can't do much for yourself.  At least, I can go to the bathroom alone.  I can't cook, clean, drive, bathe or sign my name and a whole host of other things.  Who would of thought at 43 my mother would still be taking care of me.  She is also taking care of my 10 year old triplets and her 82 year old husband of 33+ years who has moderate to severe Alzheimer's.

She has her arms full and she does it all with love, patience and grace.  She has more patience than I do.  I am learning slowly.  Tonight was hard.  The kids are at their fathers'.  My stepfather started in about dinner time.  He knew our names.  He did not believe he was married to my mother, that he lived here for the past month or that his and my mom's house was a mile away.

It escalated from there.  He wanted his car keys - he hasn't had them for years.  He insisted he had to go home and that it was a 10 hour drive but couldn't name the town.  He went from door to door.  I don't know how she did it - but she got him to bed.

It is different every day - never knowing what he will be like.  Sad is all I can say.  Makes my broken arm pale in comparison.


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment