Friday, December 7, 2012

Oncologist follow up

Biopsy just showed cells messed up by radiation.  So that is good news.  I asked about vaginal reconstruction (mom made me).  He said it is more for females born without a vagina.  What they do is take strips of flesh from your upper thigh and make a cut where the vaginal canal should be.  Then they use the strips to construct the vagina.  Sadly, I am not a candidate due to the tissue in my vagina being messed up due to radiation and the fact I smoke.  Radiation more so because it screws up the vascular system and doesn't allow healing.

My other question was regarding the shrinkage of my vagina.  He said when they got me to the operating room that even the smallest of speculum only gave him about a quarter inch visibility.  He said he was trying to use scissors to get a biopsy and they kept slipping because of the space issues - he said he finally just used a scalpel and got the tissue sample.  We also spoke about dilators.  They have a new kind that is made with soft plastic instead of the hard plastic.  I will spare you the rest of the details.

He thinks it can widen the vagina but probably not lengthen it.   I go back in 4 months (YAY).  Thanks for the prayers. 

More later -

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment